We recognise that sometimes other organisations can meet your specific needs much better than we do. When that happens, we will suggest who you could contact for the support you require. In the majority of situations, they will be charities or professional organisations that we know and trust.
If you are looking for a service where one of the organisations listed below would not be the most appropriate, we will search for an alternative for you, but on the understanding that we cannot guarantee the level of service they provide.
Most of these organisations are charities, and many make no charge for their services. However, if you are able to make a donation to them (gift-aided if you are eligible), this will be greatly appreciated. Many offer the opportunity of online or activity-based fund-raising.
General Bereavement Support
- Age UK – ageuk.org.uk – Help and advice for older people on very many topics, including bereavement.
- At a Loss – ataloss.org – Go to the UK’s hub of information and support to find bereavement support, practical information, and helpful resources.
- Citizens Advice – citizensadvice.org.uk
- Cruse Bereavement Care – www.cruse.org.uk – The UK’s largest bereavement support charity.
- Dying Matters – www.dyingmatters.org – Raising awareness of dying, death and bereavement.
- Sue Ryder – www.sueryder.org – Palliative, Neurological and Bereavement support. Online Bereavement Support.
Alcohol and Drugs Bereavement Support
- Bereaved Through Alcohol and Drugs – beadproject.org.uk– Helpful information site with links to supporting provided by Cruse.
Animal Bereavement Support
- Blue Cross – bluecross.org.uk/pet-bereavement-and-pet-loss – Although the death of an animal companion doesn’t have the practical implications of the death of a person, it can cause real and painful grief. The Blue Cross provides understanding and support in these circumstances.
Child Bereavement Support
- Child Bereavement UK – childbereavementuk.org – Provides help if you need to explain the death of someone close to a child or young person, as well as a variety of resources.
- Sands – sands.org.uk – Stillborn and neonatal death charity.
- Winston’s Wish – winstonswish.org – childhood bereavement charity
Terminal Illness Bereavement Support
- Marie Curie Bereavement Support Service –mariecurie.org.uk/help/support/telephone-bereavement-support – Telephone support service for people bereaved following a terminal illness.
- Macmillan – macmillan.org.uk – Physical, emotional, and financial support.
Mental Health Support
- MIND – mind.org.uk/information-support/guides-to-support-and-services/bereavement/about-bereavement/ – The mental health charity has information on bereavement and suggests sources of support.
- Samaritans – samaritans.org or call free on 116 123 – Immediate support if you are in extreme distress and need to speak with someone urgently. This is a 24-hour service.
Road Accident Bereavement Support
- Road Peace – roadpeace.org – Charity for road crash victims, including bereavement support.
Bereavement after a Murder
- Support after Murder and Manslaughter – samm.org.uk
- Homicide Service (Victim Support) – www.victimsupport/homicideservice.org.uk or call 0300 303 1984 – A charity dedicated to supporting people affected by crime and traumatic incidents.
- Survivors of Bereavement by Suicide – uksobs.org
- Support After Suicide Partnership (SASP) – supportaftersuicide.org.uk – A UK-wide network of more than 70 national and local organisations involved in delivering suicide bereavement support. Click here to read their leaflet.
Family Bereavement Support
- The Compassionate Friends – www.tcf.org.uk – Originally founded to support parents after a child has died, including adult children, it now supports bereaved family members, including grandparents and brothers or sisters of the person who has died.
- Down 2 Earth – https://quakersocialaction.org.uk/ – An independent charity that delivers practical support with funeral costs.
- The Money Advice Helper – https://www.moneyhelper.org.uk/en – Free and impartial money advice.
- PayPlan – Budgetsmart Tool – An exclusive budgeting tool to help manage your debt and finances.
Bereavement Support for the Elderly
- The Silver Line – www.thesilverline.org.uk – A confidential, free helpline for older people.
- WAY (Widowed and Young) – widowedandyoung.org.uk – For people whose life partner has died and under the age of 50
Loss of Life Partner Support
- WAY UP – way-up.co.uk – Online support for people aged in their 50s and 60s whose life partner has died.